Mixerman Radio Show Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell Radio CAPE The Best of Charles Dye Aadry's and Dwoz's Rotation Station
Mixerman's Diaries
Occupy by when?!?!, it's CAPE 10? I'm not ready!!!!!! Zen & Tao of Producing w/The Saint! Zen & Tao of Producing w/Ken Scott! Zen, The Blood Red Vampire Forum, Mwahahahaha!!!

Go Back   The Womb > The Womb Forums > Music Industry 2.0

Music Industry 2.0 Business and legal strategies for a new beginning

Old December 12th, 2012, 09:13 AM
once played a seventh chord in a folk song
Saw Yentle 46 times

pipelineaudio currently in negotiationspipelineaudio currently in negotiationspipelineaudio currently in negotiationspipelineaudio currently in negotiationspipelineaudio currently in negotiationspipelineaudio currently in negotiationspipelineaudio currently in negotiationspipelineaudio currently in negotiationspipelineaudio currently in negotiationspipelineaudio currently in negotiationspipelineaudio currently in negotiations
Default Spotlight Global-another pay to play scam?

Anyone know any of these guys?

http://spotlightglobal.com/our-team-2/

Looks like another pay to play scam to me, spamming up the craigslists. Anyone know anything about this?
Old December 12th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Womb Legend!
Expensive Boat Anchor

Bob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Spotlight Global-another pay to play scam?

Heads have rolled at the majors every six months for over a decade. I don't know any of them but lots of unbelievably successful folks have been forced to offer their services to the public in this manner.

Again what entertainment looting has done is to almost completely end investment in young artists other than by parents and relatives. Labels used to sign the very best of the best local entertainers. Today it's all too often only the best of the rich.
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
Old December 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Thick as a Brick House
Cone of Silence inventor

radiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these parts

http://spotlightglobal.com/funding/

Quote:
We will ask to be included in your deal, in return for getting you “in the door” and securing funding for your deal. This is how we get paid. There are no hidden fees once you are accepted by us for this service. We only get paid when you succeed.
If the pitch on this outfit's website is true it **might** be a viable option for **some** artists/acts. Then again it might be just another fancy songshark operation set up by ex-major label personnel. Buyer beware YMMV.
"The tech sector is like a guy in a crowded prison cell, who finds a hand grenade, and sets it off, so that he'll have the entire cell to himself." - Dwoz
Old December 12th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Womb Legend!
Expensive Boat Anchor

Bob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these partsBob Olhsson is infamous around these parts

That's certainly interesting!

I'm still painfully old skool in that I think labels should be coming to artists and not the other way 'round.
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Spammer
Wanker

shadubie is on a distinguished road

Well, I just went through the application on their site, and at the end of it, I was asked to pay $15 as an application fee, while being treated to a video on how easy it was for two other people to get signed by Lady Gaga's rep. When I tried to leave the page it said it would reduce the fee to $9. I closed the page. I'm not giving them any money up front.
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Spammer
Wanker

Rand is on a distinguished road
Clown Re: Spotlight Global-another pay to play scam?

Greetings fellow audiophiles, techs & musicians

Just joined to specifically comment on this particular topic re: Spotlight Global, which became a pet project of mine during some downtime recently.

Like any ambitious musician blinded with stars in their eyes, out of curiosity I checked them out from a Craigslist link, went through their 'too good to be true' website spiel, did some research/homework on their 'reputation' and supposed who's who professional team members, and except for Kenny Kerner, came up with zero substance and all hot air.

Actually wrote to Kenny Kerner (works at MI in Lost Angeles and author of 'Going Pro') to confirm or deny his involvement with Spotlight Global and never received a reply. Interesting to say the least. Now I was even more intrigued so...

I did go as far as to pay $9.00 for their 'submission evaluation' 'Express Decision' which guaranteed to contact the applicant within three business days. After emailing twice more, I was contacted by a Jason Gilbert almost a week later, who asked who I really was and why did I pay the fee (taking the words right out of my own mouth).

Anyway, after confirming who I was via their website spiel, etc. he wrote back with a copy of my submission profile that he finally 'found' and was exceedingly complimentary, asked me to read even more self-promotion, watch a special video and if I had any questions to let him know. I could just smell the snake oil beginning to boil...

Naturally I had a lot of questions beginning with 'If Spotlight Global is such a prominent and exclusive company, with a highly rated and experienced team of ex-producers, etc., why can't I find anything at all about it online - anywhere?' His eventual answer to this was 'we are a brand new small boutique company and prefer not to advertise through the usual SEO channels'.

There were other obvious questions I had too like 'how can we now actually help each other?' 'What is your own background?' 'What well-known clients have you either worked with and/or have succeeded together with?' 'If you're a brand new company, how can you have such a great track record of success already with your services?' Etc.

To make a month-long irritating but sadly funny story very short, this Jason G. either delayed correspondence for up to a week or more, or replied with lame excuses for 'not receiving your message' or finally answered my legitimate questions about being verifiable and for specifics with only vagueness or contradictions. He'd also prevaricate each time by referring me to 3rd party 'services' that (you guessed it) cost quite a bit of money, mainly involving online SEO promotion and marketing that one could rightly assume now meant he was simply getting commissions for any sucker caught in his Spotlight Global www phishing net.

Found this during my online travels as well http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/muc/3523873940.html

I eventually wrote back, gave him an assertive and fair critique of his business ethics and behavior and a choice to either own up or prove all his claims with solid verifiable references, or I'd contact a lawyer friend of the family who loves suspicious companies like this with apparent false advertising claims and promotions. As they say, 'give 'em enough rope'.

Haven't heard back from anyone yet
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Spammer
no, I'm not bitter....really I'm not

jeffn9q is on a distinguished road

I also went through their spiel and spoke to Jason Gilbert on the phone several times and have been corresponding with him through email since November or so. I spoke to another artist from California that he is working with called Smirnov. Their singer said they paid for the Reverb Nation promotion that Spotlight Global offered for $350 (gets you in the top 10 in your market). He said so far Jason has done everything he said he would. Jason said that a lot of labels put a lot of emphasis on the RN charts (I find that a little hard to believe but who knows). I took it upon myself to see if I could move my band up the charts myself instead of dropping $350 to have someone else do it. I was able to move my band, Various Hands (reverbnation.com/varioushands), on the Rock charts for St. Louis, MO from #128 to currently #3 in about 3 weeks. Save your money on that one and do it yourself.

The other big component of Spotlight's pitch is the Fan Acquisition Funnel which is a page on your website that is supposed to build your mailing list up. This is a service offered by Sam Schwartz (thesamschwartz.com) for $995. Jason is again the go-between for this service. I contacted Sam myself and asked him to verify that he is in fact working with Spotlight. I received an email back from Sam the same day confirming that he is working with Jason and Spotlight and that everything is legit. I'm still doing research on this aspect of things but so far I have not found anything fishy about it.

I asked Jason if there is any guarantee on any of their services. He said everything he is offering will work. I then asked, "What if the record compsanies don't come knocking?". He said, "In that case I'll, 'walk you in the front door'", so to speak.

My reservations lie in the same things that you guys have all already mentioned: Why don't they have a bigger online presence and why are they using Craigslist to advertise? If this system is pretty much guaranteed to get you signed why aren't more bands using it? How is the rest of the team listed on their website involved? The one thing that makes me feel a little better is that Jason isn't hounding me to work with them. He contacted me after I first submitted my band, he contacted me again after I emailed him some follow-up questions and has emailed me two more times with follow-up tips (not sales pitches) to help my career. I am VERY leary of any kind of marketing service like this as I have been burned in the past. So far, I haven't found any red flags so I am going to continue to research this company and ask questions and see if it's something worth pursuing. I'll be happy to share my findings with you guys and hopefully you will as well.
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Thick as a Brick House
Cone of Silence inventor

radiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these partsradiationroom is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffn9q View Post
Save your money on that one and do it yourself.
Provided that you have the time to do the work. An artist/act/band that is on the upswing, gigging three nights a week and is preparing to cut an album might not have the time to do their own promotion. So it is a matter of what is the best investment of time verses money. Since each person's/act's situation will be different YMMV.

Quote:
I asked Jason if there is any guarantee on any of their services. He said everything he is offering will work. I then asked, "What if the record compsanies don't come knocking?". He said, "In that case I'll, 'walk you in the front door'", so to speak.
WHOA NELLY!!! No one can guarantee anything other than they will provide the services offered. The thing about both the music business and the advertising/promotion business is that it is all about opinion and public taste which can change like a parent changing a baby's diaper. Branding is both an art and science and sometimes you are "rolling the dice" when trying to create name recognition and branding for your act. Sure the more research and planning one does the better the chances are of success but that is still no 100% guarantee.

Quote:
My reservations lie in the same things that you guys have all already mentioned: Why don't they have a bigger online presence and why are they using Craigslist to advertise? If this system is pretty much guaranteed to get you signed why aren't more bands using it?
Maybe the bands who are using it are either #1. trying to use it as a short-cut to fame, or #2. are not at the level needed to be signed.
"The tech sector is like a guy in a crowded prison cell, who finds a hand grenade, and sets it off, so that he'll have the entire cell to himself." - Dwoz
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:02 AM
Spammer
Wanker

disco is on a distinguished road

I am well aware of the numerous frauds out there and have myself been a victom, but my experience with Jason was good. I spoke with him a few times by phone and numerous times via email.
-My band had a good experience with Jason at Spotlight Global. He gave us great advise about what "Label Ready" really means in today's music biz.
-He also spent a few hundred dollars splitting an A&R fee with my band that we decided was a good investment.
-Jason also got a detailed review of one of our songs from "Kenny Kerner".
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:11 AM
Spammer

Disco, what's the name of your band and what kind of investment did Spotlight help you secure?
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:16 AM
Womb Legend!
Expensive Boat Anchor

So Jason hasn't got enough balls to come in and defend what certainly looks to be a rip-off and is sending people to register and make first posts claiming that he is legitimate.

That's not a very attractive impression to be making!
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:24 AM
Martini Drinker
Internet Meme

dwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
I am well aware of the numerous frauds out there and have myself been a victom, but my experience with Jason was good.

-He also spent a few hundred dollars splitting an A&R fee with my band that we decided was a good investment.
Oh, wait.

What on EARTH is an "A&R fee?"

how many sockpuppets does this guy need?

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:45 AM
Womb Legend!
Expensive Boat Anchor

I just googled Eddie Wenrick. He used to run something called HitLab out of Toronto which sounds familiar. I might have even mastered something for one of their artists.

Hitlab apparently was legit enough to partner with the Recording Academy this year but the idea of paying for A&R "services" or hit evaluation technology makes me mighty skeptical. My bullpuckey light is definitely flashing.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:44 PM
Spammer
Wanker

praxis is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
I came across this forum and wanted to add my $0.02 about Spotlight Global. I tend to be VERY skeptical about anything I find on the internet, especially Craigslist, but I checked out SG and spoke with Jason Gilbert several times. I always found him to be prompt, courteous, and informative.

SG never purported to be a record label, or guarantee a record deal...I don't think any company can do that except a record label itself. Jason did put me in touch with an excellent creative development company, and secured me some financial assistance for this endeavor. This assistance did not bind me in any way; SG provided me this assistance in good faith that I would work with them when I am "record-label ready."

Although it is common sense to be wary, nothing will come for free in today's evolving music industry. When navigating the internet for music career assistance, the best plan is to keep both your eyes and your mind open.

Have a great day, everyone!
Chris
Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:13 PM
Martini Drinker
Internet Meme

dwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these partsdwoz is infamous around these parts

whatever "Spotlight Global" might be...scam or legit...not within my experience to say either way.

I will say that when you get a thread like this, in which SIX DIFFERENT BRAND NEW FIRST TIME POSTERS offer testimonial, it's time to say "Whatever Spotlight Global may be...they will NO LONGER be using this forum for astroturf."

Astroturf: the "fake groundswell of grass-roots experience."

Any business that does astroturfing is almost by definition not completely legitimate.

This form of marketing was pioneered in the early nineties, by a large german equipment marketer that shall remain nameless, that would pepper usenet with threads asking about it's products, and sockpuppets would carry on conversations among themselves...some offering gushing praise, some offering skeptical reservation as a way to "keep it real." The purpose was to seed the internet search engines with "chatter" about the products, which tends to make internet viewers a bit more comfortable.

This thread stinks SO HIGHLY of astroturf, I can't even think of a better example. (also, not suggesting that the original poster was involved...not even imagining that.)

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

Old February 24th, 2013, 02:37 AM
Master Debater
Expensive Boat Anchor

nobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these partsnobby is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoz View Post
I will say that when you get a thread like this, in which SIX DIFFERENT BRAND NEW FIRST TIME POSTERS offer testimonial, it's time to say "Whatever Spotlight Global may be...they will NO LONGER be using this forum for astroturf."

Astroturf: the "fake groundswell of grass-roots experience."

Any business that does astroturfing is almost by definition not completely legitimate.

This form of marketing was pioneered in the early nineties, by a large german equipment marketer that shall remain nameless, that would pepper usenet with threads asking about it's products, and sockpuppets would carry on conversations among themselves...some offering gushing praise, some offering skeptical reservation as a way to "keep it real." The purpose was to seed the internet search engines with "chatter" about the products, which tends to make internet viewers a bit more comfortable.

This thread stinks SO HIGHLY of astroturf, I can't even think of a better example. (also, not suggesting that the original poster was involved...not even imagining that.)
I think the message below is the best example I've ever seen of an astroturf post -- classic!

Or am I not being open minded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis View Post
Hi everyone,
I came across this forum and wanted to add my $0.02 about Spotlight Global. I tend to be VERY skeptical about anything I find on the internet, especially Craigslist, but I checked out SG and spoke with Jason Gilbert several times. I always found him to be prompt, courteous, and informative.

SG never purported to be a record label, or guarantee a record deal...I don't think any company can do that except a record label itself. Jason did put me in touch with an excellent creative development company, and secured me some financial assistance for this endeavor. This assistance did not bind me in any way; SG provided me this assistance in good faith that I would work with them when I am "record-label ready."

Although it is common sense to be wary, nothing will come for free in today's evolving music industry. When navigating the internet for music career assistance, the best plan is to keep both your eyes and your mind open.

Have a great day, everyone!
Chris

CMIIW = "Correct Me If I'm Wrong"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. casino View Post
Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
A great engineer can make shit sound like gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Martini Drinker
Internet Meme

Praxis, jeffn9q, disco, rand, and shadubie are all in violation of the womb terms of service, in that they are acting as sockpuppets for the organization being discussed here.

They are going to be deleted and banned forever unless they give VERY good justification for their posts.

The Womb does not tolerate spam or astroturfing.

dwoz--Womb Admin.

Old February 24th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Spammer

I am definitely not a sockpuppet. I came across this thread while doing some research on SG and it's one of the few discussions I could find about the company. I am not defending them nor saying that they are a scam. I just wanted to share my experience with them thus far and that's what I have done.

I ask that you please not ban me as I want to continue with this discussion and read everyone's input.

If you doubt this, please look up my band, Various Hands, at facebook.com/varioushands, reverbnation.com/varioushands and sonicbids.com/varioushands. My name is Jeff Nations and you will see that neither I nor my band are affiliated at all with SG. I simply have been checking them out after I came across one of their ads. Thanks.
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Spammer
Wanker

DARKFROMDAYONE is on a distinguished road

It is so awesome that musicians are really looking out for each other today.We should all always band together and help each other out.I believe we should post our experiences with different companies.My experience with Spotlight Global and Jason Gilbert has been really good.I have been in the music business for 20 yrs now.My band DARKFROMDAYONE has shared the stage with Korn, Mudvayne, Black Label Society, Static-X and Bury Your Dead,Godsmack,Rob Zombie,Five Finger Death Punch,THREE DAYS GRACE,AVENGED SEVENFOLD,STONE SOUR,SKILLET,THEORY OF A DEADMAN,HALESTORM,SEVENDUST.Plus our first single “New Addiction” can be purchased for download on ROCKBAND NETWORK for Xbox 360.We teamed up with Howard Rosen(former vp of marketing for WARNER BROS. RECORDS, signed KISS, and FOGHAT) and did a 9 week college radio campaign across 350 colleges across the United States. Our record “The Fire Within” remains number #7 in Wakuesa,WI, #11 in Newton,MA, and #23 in Staten Island, NY. Topping the charts over acts such as KORN,LAMB OF GOD, along with other current hard rock releases.We have toured the West and Midwest twice . Dark From Day One is currently selling "The Fire Within" on itunes,amazon,and 18 other online stores!
Plus we have a global distribution deal with UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP/INGROOVES/JMD RECORDS. With all this being said we had done all of this prior to hooking up with Spotlight Global.I was online and found them.After hooking up with Jason Gilbert and Spotlight Global he helped me get funding for my music business.They are helping me and DARKFROMDAYONE expand our music biz.I have had great experiences with them thus far.There are a lot of scams out there obviously.But Spotlight Global is not one of them.
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Martini Drinker
Internet Meme

oh, dear lord.

my sweet lord.

oh, my lord.

I really want to ban the shills,

I really want to ban them

I really want to ban the sockpuppets, but it takes so long my lord